STUDENTS & PARENTS
One of the most effective roles to play in the college process is that of helping students create a roadmap they can execute as early as freshman year in their high school career. Here’s a checklist of important things to do at various points in the college process.
- Thoroughly review the NCAA Guidelines at ncaa.org
- Make sure core courses are done in HS. Academic goals and a plan should be written out.
- Begin SAT/ACT test preparation early in High School. Sign up for a free practice SAT or ACT to determine your prep needs.
- Keep your grades up.
- Determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and get familiar with the college financial aid process.
- Apply to all colleges you are interested in attending.
- Start a worksheet log to keep track of your communications with colleges.
- Begin building a profile to present to colleges.
- Register with the NCAA Eligibility at www.ncaa.org
- Plan official and unofficial visits to local college campuses, always contacting the coaches beforehand to arrange a meeting and see the school in person. Create a highlight or skills video using specific sport guidelines.
- Compile a list of target schools based on your qualifications.